CanSurvive GYN Cancer Support Group
2 meetings each month
Please note that sometimes the 3rd Sunday will occur
before the 3rd Friday.
3rd Friday of each month
12 noon – 1:30 p.m.; lunch provided
American Cancer Society*
1104 Ireland Way
3rd Sunday of each month
2 – 4 p.m.
Brookwood Wellness Center at Gold’s Gym
1090 Montgomery Hwy, Vestavia 35216
Light refreshments provided by LCBOCF
*Please check website or call on a weekday (205-934-7509) to confirm Friday meeting location; occasionally it has to be relocated.
Upcoming CanSurvive Support Meetings and CanSurvive Events,
Local Foundation Events, Other Support
The CanSurvive meetings (3rd Friday & 3rd Sunday in every month) are clearly labeled as are the CanSurvive events.
- FRI., MAY 17, noon-1:30 p.m., lunch provided, American Cancer Society, Birmingham — CanSurvive meeting. Dr. Jacob Estes, gyn oncologist at UAB, will talk to us about current research, recent news reports, and will entertain questions. We will also have someone talk to us briefly about the ballroom dancing study.
- SUN., MAY 19, 2-4 p.m., Brookwood Wellness Center @ Gold’s Gym in Vestavia — CanSurvive meeting. Someone will talk to us about the ballroom dancing study. Refreshments provided by LCBOCF.
- TUES., MAY 21 —Teal Taco Tuesday. See the Laura Crandall Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation (LCBOCF) website for details. http://www.thinkoflaura.org.
- TUES., MAY 28 — Lilies of the Valley support group meeting in Huntsville. More details on the “Support Groups” page.
- THURS, JUNE 13, 6 p.m. — Teal Magnoiias Support Group meeting in the Roanoke/Lafayette/Auburn/Opelika area. More details on the “Support Groups” page.
- SUN., JUNE 16, 2-4 p.m., Brookwood Wellness Center @ Gold’s Gym in Vestavia — CanSurvive meeting. Speaker/topic TBA. Refreshments provided by LCBOCF.
- FRI., JUNE 21, noon-1:30 p.m., lunch provided, American Cancer Society, Birmingham — CanSurvive meeting. Dr. Kerri Bevis, gyn oncologist at UAB, will talk to us about the current guides for cervical cancer screening and the reasoning behind the changes.
- FRI, SEPT 6 — Mark your calendar to go with us to turn the AL State Capitol teal
Moore Life to Live Golf Tournament
Cathy Moore is an ovarian cancer survivor. In 2013 she established the Moore Life to Live Fund to benefit gynecologic cancer patients and the CanSurvive GYN Cancer Support Group. Net proceeds of the annual MLTL Golf Tournament will be placed in this fund and then distributed to the recipients. A cancer diagnosis can lead to many unexpected expenses and put further stress on a patient and her loved ones during a difficult time. It is Cathy’s hope to help lighten that load for patients.
CanSurvive Members Reach Out to Other Patients During Holidays
In their November 16 meeting, CanSurvive members put together 230 bags for patients receiving treatment during the winter holidays. The bags contained items we found handy during treatment along with a few surprises and a handwritten note of encouragement. Thanks to the Doubletree Hotel for providing a room for this and for our lunch and the Doubletree Care Committee for help transporting items, setting up the assembly line, and transporting bags to their destination.
We’d like to thank the many people who procured items and/or donated funds for the bags: Doubletree Hotel; Flavorpic; Hoffman Media; Dr. Perron Tucker of Tucker Cosmetic and Family Dentistry; Dr. Elizabeth S. Jacobson; American Family Care; Cathy Moore; Connie LaMonte; Vicki Daviston; Cheryl Bourn; Allan & Kelly Rice; Jennifer & Criss Smiley; Susan Greene and the NLOCF; Lois Caldwell & Dr. Kevin Alexander; Ginny Bourland; and, Dr. Ron Beasley.
- Driver’s Choice Automotive Service
- James M. Crandall, CPA
- UAB Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center & Gynecologic Oncology
- Echols, Coogler & Associates, PC
Opening Act Level
- VIVA Health
- Fox 6
Red Carpet Level
- Boardman, Carr, Hutcheson & Bennett, PC
- Burr Forman LLP
- Raymond James/Morgan Keegan
- Tucker Cosmetic & Family Dentistry
Box Office Level
- Appalachian University Systems, Inc.
- Dutton Group, LLC
- Tom Clyce
- Urgent Care Center of Cullman, AL